Sunday, February 19, 2012

Buck Leonard


Babe Ruth first day cover signed by Bill Terry and Buck Leonard. (both obtained through the mail)
Bill Terry (1898-1989) Major League first baseman and manager with the New York Giants, 1923-1941. Inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame 1954...
Buck Leonard (1907-1997)  played for the Homestead Grays 1934-1950, Inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame 1972 by the Negro Leagues Committee...
A 3-time Negro League World Series champion, 12-time All-Star, Leonard also played for Indios de Mayaguez, 1940-41, Algodoneros de Terreon, 1951-53, Minor Leagues 1953, Durango 1955.

Upon receiving the above cover autographed by Buck Leonard the above typed note was sent along with the cover.

Dear Baseball Fan:
I Have recently had a stroke and am recovering from it now. I am walking, but it will take some time before I am fully recovered.
I am learning how to write with my throwing hand (Left hand), but will you please hold off on your autograph requests until at least January. Would you also please just send one item.
Thank you very much for your interest in me.
Sincerely
Walter F. (Buck) Leonard

No comments:

Post a Comment