Saturday, July 24, 2010

Negro League Baseball


When I first heard there was going to be a memorabilia show featuring over 60 Negro League Baseball players, June 21-22, 1997, I knew I had to go. The show was held at a hotel in Secaucus, NJ With the league's demise in the 1950's, I knew there would be a point in time when there would be no players living. Therefore the time was right to put together a special collection. I decided to purchase a sketch book, have the ballplayers sign a page to which I would later add information and draw an appropriate sketch.
I found a sketch book that utilized a beige colored paper, instead of white. I would then draw all my sketches in brown and orange inks to give the book a old-time feel. I also asked the players what there favorite memories of playing were and added them to the page with their signature, for a more personalized touch.

While I was collecting the autographs JC Hartman's wife inquired if I was going to get the book published. That was not my intention, however with this blog, I am publishing the book.

At the time I worked on this book, getting information or photos of players from the Negro Leagues was difficult. Dial-up internet, non-existant books at the library. It was a struggle so some data may be missing from the players in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment